Monday, December 2, 2013

6 and 7 Years - Blue Cheese Sauce and Steak

7 years ago (and one day) I met the love of my life.

After writing nearly a novel online to each other via a dating site we agreed to met at a book store cafe in Auckland city for a coffee followed by lunch.

For the 2 weeks prior we had been sending each other pop quizzes to find out more about each other.  For our first date we left our last set of questions unanswered so we had something to talk about over our nervous first coffee. I can remember sitting, sipping on my chai latte, waiting, nervous, excited!  After what seemed forever (which was only quarter of my latte) he arrived.  Tall, brown haired, blue eyed and handsome.  I wriggled out from out behind the table and we broke the ice as planned with a hug, the kind of hug you give a friend when you meet.  Hear racing and n-n-nervous I returned to my seat while he ordered a coffee.  Soon nerves and pop quizzes were forgotten, conversation and laughs flowed as we drank and decided to explore the city.  Our coffee was followed by bumping knees in an arcade, a sushi lunch at an Asian Food Hall, admiring the huge yachts at the waterfront and taking a look around the then reasonably new Britomart Train Station.  The afternoon quickly disappeared and we decided to get dinner at a ramen noodle bar.  A flask of warm sake and a couple of big bowls of miso noodle soup later we decided to see a movie before parting ways.

Twelve hours after our first date began I was delivered safety home, we agreed that we had both had a fantastic time and we'd like to see each other again.  We have never looked back, 3 months later we talked of getting engaged and 364 days after our first date we wed.  Six years later I am sharing my life with my best friend, we have 2 amazing little boys, a home in the country with animals and a big garden, things we dreamed of together when we fell in love.  Simple pleasures are what fill our lives, and I couldn't be happier.


Blue Cheese Sauce and Steak - Anniversary Dinner

2T Butter
2 Medium Onions, sliced
1T Four
1C Milk
1/2C Blue Cheese, Crumbled

2 Steaks (we had home kill scotch fillet)
Oil
Salt and Pepper



Put a pan on med-low heat and melt the butter (put another pan on medium for the steak).  Add the onions to the butter and cook gently for 10 or so minutes until golden (stir only every minute or so)).  Meanwhile oil and season your steak and cook in another pan.
Once the onions are golden (your steak should be cooked and  resting by now) add the flour to the onions and after another minute add the milk.  Stir continuously until the sauce has thickened then add the blue cheese, continue stirring until it has melted.  Serve steak over the blue cheese sauce.  We had ours with fresh salad from the garden, home made pasta tossed with pesto.

This sauce is amazing for something so simple - and if you love blue cheese like I do this is drool worthy stuff.

1 comment:

  1. I love this! In a world where many people shy away from making commitments to each other, and break commitments to each other, it is wonderful to hear stories where two people meet and know that that person is the one. I am so glad that yours and Grants dreams have come true... you two bring hope and inspiration to others.

    ReplyDelete

Feel free to comment - I love to hear from my readers